On Friday, October 17, the Exton Region Chamber of Commerce held the fourth presentation in the series, “In the Know for NPO’s: Giving Tuesday and Beyond”, sponsored by Fox Rothschild and Immaculata University. Kristine Parkes owner of Kultivate and the ERCC Non-profit council expertly moderated the panel of experts from 3 non-profits who have extensive fundraising experience. Regina Donovan, VP for University Advancement and Marketing at Immaculata University, Cara Schmidt, Community Partnership Manager at Chester County Futures and Maeve Kelly, Communications & Program Associate at Chester County Fund for Women and Girls provided great insight on having a successful Giving Tuesday campaign as part of a comprehensive fundraising Initiative. There were specific takeaways provided to attendees.
Some key points include:
• Have realistic expectations. Have a goal. Talk about it with your board. Have a reasonable goal/ stretch goal/ dream goal.
• Make goals public when asking for support. There are people who want to be THE ONE who put you over the top
• Giving Tuesday should be a major part of your overall year-long donor strategy. It should not be something thrown together the morning of Giving Tuesday.
• Start posting and marketing 2 or 3 weeks out and then ramp up as it gets closer
• Recruit a committee or board… get buy in from your supporters and board. Pre-promote that you will be doing this so that your supporters will retweet and share etc.
• Know your demographic and use the appropriate social media platforms with the appropriate style of ask. Don’t overlook the value of Linked in.
• Incentives or gifts are not as important as Matching gifts. People give because they are drawn to the message, not for specific incentive.
• If your organization has not done so already, register on the free site, Giving Tuesday, Chester County http://www.givingtuesdaychesco.org/
The Exton Region Chamber of Commerce is proud to support member non-profits with an Interactive Speaker Series that will help their organizations meet the needs of their mission. Special thanks to the members of the committee who bring us “In the Know for NPO’s”, John Durso of First Resource Bank, Chris Tabakin of iHi International, Jacqueline Motyl of Fox Rothschild and Bill Friedmann, Blue Dog Printing and Design.
Don’t miss the series in 2018 starting with the interactive presentation about Planned Giving from Joe Tankle of Meridian Bank. Save the Date of Friday January 12, 2018 at 8:00 am at Immaculata University. Contact the Exton Region Chamber of Commerce for sponsorship opportunities at 610-363-7746.