Thinking about a Career Change? 4 Helpful Questions to “Discover Your Best Career”
Mar 27, 2015
By Marjorie Johnson
Ascend Consulting, Inc.
Clients often ask me how to make a total career change. After decades of “doing what they’ve always done”, they now want to:
- Enjoy their work
- Feel motivated
- Find personal fulfillment
- Make money
If you are trying to discover your best fit career, here are 4 questions to consider to help you discover the position that will create a more satisfied you.
1. What are your Values?
- What is important to you in terms of your work environment, the tasks you perform at work, the style and frequency of personal interactions and the purpose of the work itself?
2. What are your Interests?
- What easily grabs and holds your attention and focus?
- What do you enjoy? Consider the mission of the organization, the customers served, the services or products delivered? Will this be fun to you?
3. Your Experiences and Skills?
- What do you bring to the table?
- Where do you excel? Think of interpersonal skills, strategic thinking, detailed focus organization, customer service and change. management.
4. Your Personality?
- What is your unique way of interacting with people? Think about the way you perceive information and make decisions. How do you experience and express your feelings.
When you put these 4 elements of yourself together, you are one step closer to discovering your perfect work. Because, NOW you know what to look for!
For more suggestions on how to find your best fit career, try Marsha Sinetar’s book: “Do What you Love, The Money Will follow.”